Every Sunday at 9:45 AM for pre-K through 12th grade. (Nursery 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM).
Our Nurture Program is designed to facilitate each child’s unique faith journey by providing as many tools as possible to help them along the way, including stories, ancient myths, ceremonies, prayers, and rituals. We believe the point of religious education is to connect with the Divine – in whatever way your child defines that. Moreover, we believe that all living things are created in the image of the divine and that all living things hold a divine spark within them. Thus, our curriculum also emphasizes connecting with others and with nature.
The program’s core rests on our Sunday morning classes where we use Jubilee!’s custom-designed Bible-based, interfaith Sunday School curriculum. This curriculum was developed over the last several years by our Nurture Coordinator and Curriculum Specialist, Vicki Garlock. In general, we use experiential learning to teach about:
- the Judeo-Christian Bible stories
- holidays and practices of other religions (including Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and Neo-Pagan/Wiccan)
- human values (like tolerance, humility, and freedom)
- Creation Spirituality (Original blessing and the four Vias/paths of spiritual life)
- modern-day people of great faith (like Gandhi, Martin Luther King, Jr., and Mother Teresa).
For more information on our curriculum, visit the Sunday School curriculum pages at Faith Seekers Kids. There, you will find links about our theology and pedagogy. You will also find an outline of our entire curricular program and sample lesson plans.
Of course, no amount of education will produce change in the world if it remains locked up in a church building. To help our kids put their compassion into practice, we also provide regular community service opportunities, even for our youngest Jubilants. These activities include:
- making up the beds for Room in the Inn
- making holiday-themed decorations for the common spaces at the Family Visitation Center
- cleaning Wall Street and our Jubilee! neighborhood
- working at Manna food bank
- completing flex projects for Hands-On Asheville, including making toys for pets and flash cards for school kids
Whether we’re teaching about faith-based practices, leading activities, or just connecting with one another, we are committed to providing children with a safe and loving environment. Every Sunday, we strive to help kids grow in faith, accept themselves fully, live responsibly and creatively, and find their place in God’s creation.
If you have questions about our program or would like to be on the Nurture Program e-mail list, please contact Vicki Garlock, Nurture Coordinator, at email@example.com or at 252-5335, VMB #2. If you would like to read Vicki’s interfaith blog, check out faithseekerkids.com/blog or follow her on Twitter via @faithseekerkids
Please click below for more information about what each age group is up to!
In accordance with our Safe Sanctuary Policy, we have at least two teachers in every classroom.
Our Nursery, for toddlers age “walking” to 3.99 years, is available during both Celebrations, so it is open from 9:30AM-12:30PM. Once a child turns 4, we work with the family to transition him/her comfortably into the P-K classroom.