Chat ‘n Snack Dates Set for the Summer of 2017
…Join us on Sundays, June 18th, July 9th, August 6th and Monday, September 4th
Summer is just around the corner…it’s time to party! Join us for one or more of our summer Chat ‘n Snacks. All Chat ‘n Snacks happen at Hanger Hall, 31 Park Avenue, North, near downtown Asheville from 6 to 8 pm. We gather around the pool to swim, enjoy potluck snack foods, dance and enjoy each other’s company. Be sure to wear your swim suit if you want to swim, bring your own towel and finger food to share. Chat ‘n Snacks are a perfect venue for meeting other Jubilants and expanding your circle of friends. These special summer events are brought to you by the Board of Directors.
The Life Together Team Invites You to Retreat
…Join other Jubilee! women in Tazewell, TN on June 23—25 to relax and renew
Laurie Berry Clifford will be leading the retreat in which we begin to view our Life as Story, from the little girl to the wise grandmother. PERKS includes the beauty of guided meditations as you move through the day and the magic of a hypnosis massage each night before you go to sleep. The only set cost is for lodging. For more information, go to www.wellbeingretreatcenter.org. Join us. It is a great way to connect with others in the community.
Farewell Lynn, Sandy & Sue…Welcome New Board Members
…Our new members are Laurie Berry Clifford, Paul Howey, Claudia Sherry and Dave Trout
In the month of June, the Jubilee! Board is saying goodbye to Lynn Brailsford, Sandy Jones and Sue Martin who have completed their terms. And, we are saying hello to four new persons who are beginning their terms beginning July 1st. The four new members are Claudia Sherry, Dave Trout, Laurie Berry Clifford and Paul Howey. These four individuals are all members of the Community who support Jubilee! with their time and their dollars. Each brings unique gifts to share and in coming weeks you can read about them. Farewell Lynn, Sandy and Sue. You have been a blessing to us. And, welcome Laurie, Paul, Claudia and Dave. In this edition we will share information about Laurie. In coming editions we will highlight our other new members.
Laurie Berry Clifford— “I joined Jubilee! six years ago. I also transferred my Episcopalian membership from a California congregation to All Souls Cathedral. When I moved to Asheville in 2009, my church attendance during that season of my life was split between Jubilee! and All Souls, spotty at both. In 2015, I heard, “Pick one and plant yourself.” I picked Jubilee!. Ever since I planted myself at Jubilee!, I have moved slowly out of respect for others who have given of their time and talents over the years.” When we asked Laurie about her reason for wanting to be on the Board and the gift(s) she would bring, she wisely replied, “When you decide to marry someone, you kinda want to get to know as much as you can about him or her. Also, I’m a good listener. Not a bad thing for a marriage.”
Park at Your Own Risk!
- The Asheville Fire Department is enforcing the “Fire Lane” on Wall Street (The red line from in front of our building, the Laughing Seed Restaurant and the Public Service Building.) A number of citations have been issued on Sunday mornings. Each citation incurs a $50 fine.
Support Fair Districts
Sign the petition on Sunday mornings
- Voting is important, but having fair districts is essential to fair elections. Efforts are happening state-wide to support a process for drawing political district maps that are fair and open, avoid racial or partisan gerrymandering, and allow voters to pick their political representatives, not the other way around. The Voting Rights issue group of the Social Justice team will have petitions for you to sign to support fair districts and oppose gerrymandering on Sunday mornings in the Hospitality Room.
Check Out the New Art
Opening reception on Friday, June 2 @ 5 pm
- Maureen Simon Photography presents her newest project, which she lovingly has entitled, “Project Maureen.” Inspired by her childhood, her friends, and her ongoing quest to be true to who she is, Mau-reen is excited to share her vision of art and photography from Biltmore Iron and Metal. This exhibit showcases her love of architecture, colors, metal, wood and the abstract. The project will feature works of art in photography, mixed media, encaustics, along with a soul-stirring collection of images from her volunteer photography work at Haywood Street Congregation.
Tuesdays, June 6th & 13th at 7 pm
- You are cordially invited to join Cathy Holt as she presents a workshop titled, Avoiding Burnout: Self-care, Collaboration and Communication Skills for Activists on Tuesdays June 6th and 13th from 7 to 9 pm. A love offering will be taken. Cathy is a teacher of nonviolent communication, a HeartMath resilience coach, a member of the Jubilee! Social Justice Team, and activist for 50 years. Register at email@example.com.
- The Jubilee! Office will be closed on Monday, May 29th for Memorial Day. We will be back on Tuesday morning!