A sense of humor is superior to any religion so far devised.
– Tom Robbins, Jitterbug Perfume
“My name is Howard, and I am addicted to FaceBook.”
The thing of it is, I’m OK with my addiction. I have no intention of quitting at all. I’m still hooked. And happy about it. I. Am. Addicted. To. FB. I use it every day. Unashamedly. But, actually, that’s not totally true. What I’m sincerely addicted to is laughter. I love to drink deeply with delight and FB is one of my drinking cups. So, I’m addicted to laughter. OK, and FaceBook. Laughter and FaceBook and people who love to laugh. I love comedies and comedians. I love Abbot and Costello and Ellen DeGeneres. I love Tom Robbins and Bette Midler. I love my daughters. Either of them can whisk me into gale storms of side-splitting laughter. Sometimes, I laugh so hard, I feel tears running down my legs.
And the beauty of laughter is that when you laugh…when you get the punchline…when you see the pratfall…when giggles and guffaws burst from your body like a scramble of puppies escaping from a bath…when that happens, have you ever noticed that all your worries, anxieties, frustrations and fears disappear? Poof! Gone! Like magic. Like you just took a wonder drug. Just took the perfect toke. Like heaven is supposed to be. Like being with God.
Then, of course, as soon as the laughter subsides, all the poop comes rushing back in; but for that moment – that precious hilarious moment – you were redeemed. You were blessed. Salvation took you in her arms and lifted you to the stars.
I consider laughter my most ardent and fervent prayer and would far rather pray that way than through prayer-book mumbo-jumbo. There are, indeed, beautifully crafted prayers in various books of worship. But when it comes to spontaneous, impulsive and heartfelt…for me, nothing beats a good chuckle. So, with that in mind, I offer here a few one-liners which I have collected and shared on FaceBook.
Let us pray!
- Did you hear about the therapy group for compulsive talkers? It’s called Anon Anon Anon.
- Old McDonald was dyslexic, I-E-I-E-O.
- You think glass urns are a good idea? Remains to be seen.
- Relationship Tip: Guys are the best ones with whom to share your secrets. They’ll never tell because they weren’t listening in the first place.
- I want to be something really scary for Halloween this year so I’m dressing up as a phone battery at 2%.
- I have CDO. It’s like OCD but the letters are in alphabetical order. Like they’re supposed to be.
- Often at night I hear the voice of pie and ice cream calling to me from the fridge. Broccoli is strangely silent.
- Jesus fed 5000 people with two fish and a loaf of bread. That’s not a miracle. That’s tapas.
Amen & Oh Yeah!!!
If prayer is opening to the Divine and if laughter is the best medicine, m’thinks it might behoove us all to raise our heads in joy-filled praise to the giver of joy and the healer of all.